Thursday, July 25, 2013

On getting started solving Rosalind problems in the Python Village

Rosalind assumes some level of programming skills.  Some people may come to the table with none whatsoever.  The Python Village moves pretty quick.  I'll try to slow it down for those who haven't programmed at all.  I'm not going to rehash stuff Rosalind provides directly.  For instance, in problem INI2 one sees:
That's pretty sparse.  But that "click to expand" text needs to be clicked most of the time.  Even if it doesn't address the particular problem it gives lots of information about why the particular problem is being asked to be solved.
That print command is version 2.x.  In 3.x you would use:

print ('a - b is',c)

I don't mind helping people get started.  Let me know if I'm being of any help.  Otherwise I'll just move on.  One last thing...
After you solve a problem  buttons for "Solutions" and "Explanation" appear.  "Explanation" gives some additional information.  People seem more willing to give "Solutions".  You will see many ways to solve the same problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment