Friday, July 12, 2013

Names confuse me.

I've gone back and reworked some of my earlier solutions to Rosalind problems.  It turned out I lost several of the more complex solutions and all of the tables I had built.  Rather than solving my 26th problem I got side traced on mRNA.  I'm not sure why I have trouble remembering names like introns, exons, and spliceosomes.  Following through Rosalind's links to Wikipedia I learned the codons 'GUG' and 'UUG' can also be start codons but not in humans.  When bacteria start with these it is normally translated as formylmethionine rather than their normal Valine and Phenylalinine respectively.  I'm having trouble memorizing the names of the various amino acids even though I've been playing FoldIt for years.  The two I'm most likely to remember are Proline and Glycine.  I remember Proline and Glycine because they are normally part of a loop rather than sheet or helix. 
The protein can bend quite freely at Glycine.  I should remember Cysteine because they can form a Disulfide Bridge.  I think I'll have to mention the amino acids by name for awhile so I can remember their names.  Heck, I probably need to do this with the nucleotides as well--It's easy to remember CATG but not so easy to remember Cytosine, Adenine, Thymine, and Guanine.  Uracil will need to come along too. 

I've never noticed in FoldIt that proteins normally start with Methionine.  This is a side-effect
of the start codon AUG being translated, unlike the Stop codons.  AUG translates as Methionine.

While I knew the codons weren't one to one with the amino acids I didn't realize just how many codons translated to the same amino and how this alone showed how ridiculous was the claim that even a single mutation would be fatal.

The whole 5' and 3' thing still gives me trouble.  We'll see.  I wasn't feeling well today so maybe that's causing it.  I definitely need to get back to Coursera.

No comments:

Post a Comment