Friday, March 6, 2015

Building out a new computer.

About two weeks ago I had a new computer built for me.  It isn't top of the line but it is very good.  I intend to have dual boot between windows and Linux.  I had them install Linux but they installed the wrong version.  I wiped Linux and installed Win 7.  It was quite painless but took several rounds of updates and looking up drivers for various components. 

I went with the ASUS USB-AC51 wireless WiFi adapter.  The adapter wouldn't work until I installed the drivers from the adapter's CD.  Unfortunately that's not going to work for Linux because I have to compile the driver from the code on the disk.  The computer's builders told me the driver kept throwing errors in Linux.  I think it was beyond his skills.  He knows how to install Windows but Linux was outside his comfort zone.  I happened to have an access point I was using for my Blu-ray player.  I plugged it in and ran Linux from the installation disk.  It made the connection just fine.  At least I have a back up plan until I get the driver for the AC51 compiled and installed.  I will be able to let Linux get the latest version of the software components during the install.  But first I will create a recovery disk so I don't have to re-install Windows.  The Linux documentation says that if one intends to do a dual boot one should install Windows first because it wants to format the drives during the installation.

Originally I was going to just install Linux along side Windows without creating a recovery disk for Windows.  The MBR vs GPT issue scared me off.  I'm so out of touch with current technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment