Tuesday, December 24, 2013

On translating MatLab syntax to Python syntax

OK, I used to own a copy of MatLab.  It's quite expensive.  I didn't use it very much.  When my computer died that was that.  I've used Octave before and for my purposes it's good enough.  I like having an IDE so Domain Math IDE works for me as well.  See my prior articles for more details.

As far as I'm concerned Python is a much better language.  It's more of a full blown programming language.  Unfortunately one has to use some extensions to get many of the features built into MatLab or Octave.  Fortunately SciPy has done a good job.  Rather than rehash stuff provided elsewhere and more comprehensively I will point you to the NumPy package in general and the NumPy for MatLab Users page in particular.  The NumPy syntax is a bit more cluncky in a few places but that's more than made up by speed and expanse over Octave.  I'll be switching back and forth between the two as I write code for Simulated neural networks.

Enough for now.  Review NumPy.  It extends what are otherwise scalier functions to apply to arrays and matrices  I'll download the CUDA library for Python and test it out this week..

No comments:

Post a Comment