Saturday, October 5, 2013

Computer dies, no shared backup

Well, my computer died last Monday evening.  I was delaying HW3 on "Computational Investing, Part 1".  I had completed the framework and was ready to begin testing.  I went down to watch some TV.  When I woke up the power was off.  The next morning I tried to turn on my computer but it wouldn't turn on.  I didn't have time to work on setting up my secondary computer.  I hadn't turned it on for about a year.  I began setting it up this morning but wanted my virus software enabled before I did much.  I followed the instruction and it lead me to best buy where I paid for the subscription then it lead me to a second page and it looked like another step in the process but it was for an extension of the subscription for my parents but they don't have a computer any more.  I called best buy to get this handled and after getting bounced around and a couple of hours it looked like it was going to get handled.  I had to leave.  When I returned Trend Micro had installed a trial version.  So here I am having just paid for the subscription renewal and for a second subscription renewal for a copy I didn't want (good through April 2015) and I have a trial version good for 30 days on my machine.

Well, I've got to reinstall a bunch of software and get my "Comp Investing" homework done so I'm not going to be very happy when I get to work on Monday and have to deal with more computer problems.  Ah well.  I'm glad I documented the installation of the "Comp Investing" software on my blog.  I'll go back and find it and update to the latest versions as I do.  When I do I'll provide an updated version.  At least I have SQL Server installed on this machine where I couldn't get it installed on my other machine.  This machine is faster but has slower graphics.  I may have to do something about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment