Monday, August 5, 2013

Coding the Matrix Lectures vs Assignments

It is probably about learning style.  I don't do well in lecture classes.  I have trouble with short term memory.  By the time I'm done listening to a lecture about two types of matrix-vector multiplication and vector-matrix multiplication I've been vectored into the state of confusion.  My lights are out.  I find myself reviewing Wikipedia to do the assignments.  I've tried going back into the videos and listening to them several times.  It doesn't sink in.  Mathematicians have a love affair with Greek letters.  Just seeing them does something to my mind.  It doesn't really matter how many times I'm told about how a vector space can be defined by a span none of this is grounded.  I'm hearing word salad.  I fear I'm going to have some real trouble ahead.  I've been able to get the correct answer to all of the assignments so far.  When it came to vector space I ended up doing a Boolean search.  On two of the three tasks it took me 4 attempts to get the correct answer to two questions each with the answer to each question being True or False.  Four attempts at four possibilities to get the correct one?  That's obviously worse than chance. 

I really didn't understand vector space.

Here's hoping things get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment